Wednesday, September 9, 2009

"green" Nutters??


I have been contemplating doing the whole cloth diapers thing with this coming baby. Not only is it "green"er, but so much cheaper in the long-run, which I also like. I have a few friends who are cloth diaperers and it seems to be a feasible thing, especially now that I'm a stay-at-home mama. With Drew, I was teaching and my mom was changing a huge chunk of the diapers. I didn't think that was fair to expect her to go to the extra work, and using both cloth and disposable seemed to defeat the purposes. (Plus, try explaining cloth diapers to a mom who is still baffled by so many people wanting black and white photos when you can now see them in color!) :) My only concern is that I hate doing laundry. Hate it - put it off as long as possible. Ha, yeah that is a big part of the whole process so it seems that I am setting myself up for failure. What I hate is the whole sorting-folding-ironing part though, and diapers seem like they would be light on those requirements so I don't know. I guess I will be doing some research on that, the best types of cloth diapers (they even make them cute these days!), and the upfront costs of doing it (that part doesn't seem so fun). I have plenty of time - we are only halfway through this pregnancy - but would like any input from you mamas out there. Especially ones who use cloths or considered it. ..Especially in the last 5 years (just like with photography, the process has changed quite a bit since I was a babe!).

1 comment:

  1. hi bethany! we use cloth diapers with abraham, and we love them. my cheaper favorites are prefolds from green mountian diapers with thirsties and bummis covers (i'd also like to try wool covers, but haven't yet). the GMD prefolds are great because they fit better than the prefolds you'll get almost anywhere else. there are a few different sizes, so you don't have to fold over so much bulk like you would with the ones you find everywhere else. plus they are wider, so they fit longer. you can read lots about them online. my more expensive favorites are bumGenius onesized diapers (they will fit from about 7 pounds to 35 pounds, but i didn't use them on abraham before he was about 10 pounds). plus, cottonbabies, the makers of bumGenius, are coming out with two new diapering systems at the end of the month, one of which is very similar to gdiapers, except i think they will be a better deal. they are of course advocating their cloth inserts, but will also have disposable inserts you can use if you'd like when you go out. this system is called flip, you can read about it on cottonbabies.com i am excited to try it out soon! this is probably way more info than you asked for, but i could probably go on for hours. we truly love our cloth! if you have any cloth diapering questions, feel free to ask. oh, and i also hate laundry, but the diapers are no big deal. i just throw them in for a couple of wash cycles, and then dry them, and then i just stack them in abraham's room. no big deal. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...