Friday, March 2, 2012

ready and anxiously waiting....

We have gone from birthday partying to baby countdown..ing.  Thankfully, we are almost there!  I am feeling much larger and tired this time around, and the latest ultrasound says this little girl is not going to be so little.  This is also the point where I get a little irrational with my worrying and baby-kicks counting because of having so many friends experience devastation in the last weeks, so there are many reasons to get this show on the road.
The biggest motivating factor though at this point is to hopefully alleviate the anxiety our sweet Drew seems to be having over the vague certainty that change is coming.  I haven't been too worried about the boys because I felt like Ben was too young to process what's going on, at least ahead of time (let that fun begin when baby sis comes home .. and stays), and Drew's been through it all before.  He did a wonderful job handling it all when Ben was born and the transition seemed easier than I anticipated, but maybe that was just from my perspective.  In past couple of weeks, while at familiar places like church and friends' houses, he's become really nervous about where Brandon and/or I am at all times.  For example, normally the boy goes running out of Junior Church on Sundays and straight into the gym with all the other kids to shoot hoops and get out of the way of all the chatty adults, but recently he reminds me more than once to head straight down to his room to pick him up (and gets annoyed when I'm last... because I am a chatty adult) and then sticks right by my side  until it's time to leave.  He'll only go play if I promise to sit and watch and he forbids me to leave the gym without him.  Several other situations like this have taken place and a few times they've ended with him in tears because panic takes over if things don't go the way he expects.  He keeps talking about not wanting us to leave without him or worrying about not being able to find us, though I promise we've yet to have that happen (that's usually a third-child occurrence ... I should know).  My heart breaks for him that no amount of reassurance, talking through things, praying with him, etc can calm him down, and I am hoping that this will go away once Lily is here and we adjust to a new normal.  Drew's such a caring, thoughtful kind of kid, this is a time when that makes life tough for him.  I also know how bombarded I feel with talk from everyone and their dog about  how big or small my belly is and how close I am to deliver day, and I think he's getting overwhelmed with all the big brother prep talks directed to him by the same mass of people.
It was good to hear two people tell me about similar situations where their boys did go back to their normal selves afterwards, but any other suggestions or wisdom from others who have been through this would be appreciated.  In the meantime, we are trying to balance life with some special activities focused just on him and a lot of "normal days" where he can be comfortable in the routine -- and of course some major hoping that this baby girl decides to join us SOON so we can move on to fun as a family of five!  ...Did you hear that Lily?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...