Thursday, January 31, 2013

like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives

A couple of weekends ago, we went out to eat after church with some gift cards we'd gotten during Pastor Appreciation month (love!).  I noticed a cute little elderly lady maybe in her 80s or so sitting with possibly her own son/daughter (and spouse) who were all looking at us and smiling- well, the elderly lady was actually laughing.  I saw that Lily was smiling big at the them, and though the boys hadn't taken any notice of them, they were happy and jabbering away at our own table.  While the laughter is often a warranted response from watching us try to enjoy a meal out with our traveling circus of 3, they had that certain "look."  I've seen the look many, many times from parents who are in later phases of life than us.  (I've seen a few other types of looks when my children are not being so well-behaved but today was the good kind of look.)  My guess is those looks had to do with remembering back to when they had their own little ones at the table with them.  Life with young kids is busy and tiring, yes, but very wonderful.  And no matter how many times Brandon and I may daydream together about the days of ease when it was just the two of us, it is worth every chaotic second.  I really, really love it - even the crazy, crabby, mostly whining days (which we have had a ton of lately due to sickness) because they make it all feel real and make the fun days seem even more fun.  It's hard not to rush through or get impatient over certain milestones, but I have no doubt that one day I'll find myself looking at all the young families saying, "Oh, if I could turn back time."  I might even sing it.  And hopefully embarrass Brandon the way I do now.  So.. I am trying my best not to rush and to savor the great moments of where our 3 are at right now  ...which I'll admit is pretty hard since we have an almost walker, a beginning reader, and a "dragging-his-feet-about-it-but-the-day-is-coming" potty trainer.  But here is proof that we are in fact stopping to enjoy, celebrate, laugh, encourage, practice and sometimes lovingly endure all that is going on in this house.


ready to take off!

I have a lot of trust in that pull up and his potty training skills

homework, homework, homework

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...