Then we got to our car. It had been broken into. Ugh. There were papers and all kinds of things (including a bottle of some weird foreign pop they left) scattered across the front seats of our car, and so began the search to see what they took and clean up the mess. They of course took our GPS (which was hidden but not locked away), our phone charger and a ton of CDs. They also took dumb things like nail polish (no, I don't paint my nails while I drive) and extra batteries. Thankfully, they didn't take the time to check our trunk, which had some goodies as well. It was a sickening feeling to know someone had been through all of our stuff.
The next scary thought was that because they took our GPS, we've been told it often leads to house break-ins as well. There is a "GO HOME" button on most systems, which you can hit and the pre-programmed home address pops up. - Convenient, but bad in this case because thieves assume there's a good chance nobody is home either. So much worse than a car break-in. That was a bit too much for my preggo hormones to process at first, but then I remembered that our "GO HOME" button was still programmed to our address back in Ohio. I couldn't figure out how to change it when we moved and then I heard that it's not a good idea to use that feature anyways, so I never messed with it. I still couldn't relax until we got home to see that the dog and house were untouched, but thankfully that was the case. Before we left we did file a report, but our $500 deductible pretty much means we'll just be left without the stolen items for now.
I will admit that it took us a bit to calm down from the incident (my house thanks me for working out my emotions at 1am with a thorough cleaning). It was disappointing to lose some nice stuff, but they are just "stuff." Once my fear settled, I couldn't help but go back to the moments just before we walked out to that street to go home. One of the last songs that Jeremy Camp sang was "Give Me Jesus" and I felt that God spoke to me through it. So either I believe those words or I don't -"...you can have all this world, but give me Jesus." I do believe them.
So to you, little-punk-thief-who-broke-into-my-car, you may have walked away with a few goods worth some cash, but you did not take anything I need - anything I can't live with out. I hope that one day you will understand what I'm talking about. In fact, maybe you should listen to some of those burnt CDs you took, which aren't worth anything - they might point you in the right direction.
Wow, Bethany, I'm really sorry that happened to you! On the other hand, you have a great attitude about it--nothing you can't live without has been taken away from you.
ReplyDeleteWhen I moved back to the States last week, I had to leave quite a bit of stuff. I only came back with 3 suitcases and a guitar. I know my situation was different than yours--I got to choose what to bring, and no one took anything from me with force--but it did help me have that eternal perspective. It's all just stuff. And yes, I am thankful that no one can take Jesus away, nor me away from Him.
They took all that stuff and left you a bottle of pop! That is kind of weird. Don't they watch Law and Order? You can get their DNA from that bottle! ;) I hope they are wasting their evening driving to your house in Ohio only to find the current owners home. :) Christmas is coming, so you can ask for replacements from family!
ReplyDelete