One of my favorite Christmas traditions is going to cut down our tree. The last two years, however, we have gotten a pre-cut tree for various reasons, but I still look forward to it. I love the smell of the tree, I love seeing if we can make it all the way home with it still on top of our car, I love picking the "best side" (and side to hide in the corner), and of course decorating it. This year was not a favorite experience, but in the end we still have a standing, decorated tree to put presents under so all is good. We were excited to pick out a little taller tree this year because the ceilings are higher in this house, but there wasn't much variety in the pre-cut scotch pine we were going for. When we got it home, we found that our tree stand no longer wants to hold any water which is a problem. There is a crack in it (to which I will not go into detail about
*ahem* Brandon) and even after trying a few methods to seal it back up, we realized that it was not going to happen. It was the best ever tree stand, given to us for free by my parents when they switched over to a fake tree. After searching 3 stores, all that's left at this point are the basic ones. - And after returning the first defective one, we were back home to finally put the tree up. We actually put it up twice because apparently the touch of a 3-yr old was enough to knock it (and a base full of water) over. Our slightly taller tree became a pretty average height tree with very few bottom branches so that it would hold up against anyone breathing in the same room. But ....now it is up! And though it looks pretty much the exact same as our tree did last year (no, I'm not very creative), it magically creates the most beautiful and relaxing atmosphere I can think of. Twinkle lights and nature in my house - wonderful.

Now, the first thought I woke up with this morning.....what do we do with it after Christmas is over?? In Dayton, the trash company took whatever and however much you put out, including Christmas trees. Here, they only take trash in the city trash bags that you buy and I don't think it will fit. Last year we burned it in the backyard fire pit, but we don't have one at this house. Hmm...part 2 to this story to come later.
Something else fun that will be added to our yearly traditions just arrived in the mail as I was typing! My parents sent this cute version of an advent calendar to use with Drew (and eventually both boys), which of course they already filled with his favorite goodies for this year. I think this is an adorable way to count the days (or as we do, "sleeps") until the very exciting day of Christmas, Jesus' birthday. The best part for Drew this year is that we've got some catching up to do! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment