As I mentioned previously, I had reached the "done" point, but was hoping to hold out for a weekend so that family could all get into town in time to be here for the birth. It was not meant to be, as I began to feel contractions shortly after leaving my last scheduled weekly appointment on Monday, Feb 1st - four days before my due date. We had already figured it would be the last "Funday Monday" (daddy's day off is Monday) with just the 3 of us, so we told Drew he could pick anything he wanted to do that day. So yes, I was sitting in Chuck E. Cheese (which was fitting bc that's where we had taken Lucas and Drew the day I found out I was pregnant), wondering if I would have time to do a final vacuuming and load of laundry once we got home. Contractions actually slowed down and I used the time to make the house sparkle. I was heading to bed when they picked up again and started getting pretty steady. Because we live almost a half hour from the hospital and because I was going to need antibiotics during delivery, the doc told me to call once contractions were about every 5 minutes. Of course that was about 2am. So, we packed up the car, transfered a very sleepy Drew to our friends' house and made our way to the hospital. Going on no sleep, of course. That ride is a fun one. There is no way to describe the emotions and the special-ness of those last moments together before everything changes.
Delivery of this little guy was pretty different than my experience with Drew. I was induced with him, so we showed up at the hospital for our appointment at 4:30am, and just hung out until they were ready for me. This time, contractions were getting closer and harder, and the lady checking me in made things quick, taking no chances on me delivering anything in her office. From start to finish, it took about 7 hrs to deliver Drew, pushing only maybe 3 times. This time, due to some small complications and well, it being the middle of the night, the process was drawn out and ended with a little over an hour of pushing. The room was crowded with family and cameras last time. This time it was just Brandon and I, and he was given the responsibility of husband, photographer, videographer, cheering section and daddy all at once. So different- the two memories will never be confused. And yet, the end results were the same-- a beautiful, new baby boy Nutter! Both experiences full of incredible, never-to-be-forgotten moments. Indescribable joy.
Oh, I'm in love again.

Now, back to the smell of newborn... ahhh...
No comments:
Post a Comment