Wednesday, September 21, 2011

forgotten unforgettable

Umm...  apparently I let a few things worth noting from over the summer escape me - ya know, things like the cutest baby girl ever (also my first niece!) being born, my plants surviving the harsh conditions of me ALL summer (life-changing), Drew completing level one of swimming lessons, Brandon gaining a great boss after flying solo for 8 months (big relief for our family!), oh and um, GOING TO DISNEY WORLD!  Nothing like every kid's dream vaca just slipping the mind.  It may have had to do with the very clear preggo test I took the morning after coming home, or the panicked countdown to a celebrity wedding in which I'd have to squeeze into a dress that I bought much too far in advance - before said preggo test.  But regardless - I forgot to write about our big, ginormous, exciting trip to see Mickey!!  (...and Buzz, and Stitch, and the Nutter fav, Goofy!)  Thank you Pre-K "Show-N-Tell: Summer Adventure" for slapping me in the forehead with this realization.  I think I'll keep this post here rather than backdating because it both documents the trip and also my ridiculous 85- year old brain that I'm carrying around in my 31- year old body.

Since I could go on all day about every hour of this trip, I think I'll stick to minimal words and mostly pictures.  I will say, I've never spent so much time planning something in my life, which says A LOT when referring to an obsessive planner.  There are soo many choices, so many different routes to go with for a trip like this.  I'm glad we looked into it though and got as much advice as possible - I even read a book which also says a lot.  We learned a lot through the experience and would love to help anyone getting ready for this trip.

We took this trip with my parents and sis/bro-in-law/nephew.  After lots of discussion, we decided to leave Ben and my youngest nephew with grandparents because they wouldn't remember it and the trip would be a lot trickier with them there.  We didn't want to wait until all kids were old enough to enjoy it because who knows how old Lucas and Drew would be by then, so that just means we'll have to return.  The little ones did great all week, though it took the whole week after of snuggling Ben to catch up.

One of the best choices ever was to FLY!  Ahhh, the ease of 2 hour, nonstop flights with family meeting us on both ends of the airport.  Still makes me smile.

We spent 5 days at parks (2 at Magic Kingdom, 1 at each of the others) and 2 "down days" at the resort.  Of course we went to Magic Kingdom first (Drew's fav)!  We planned the parks ahead, knowing when to go on specific rides and when to get fast passes for big rides - so worth it, as we rode everything we wanted, often more than once, with very little wait time.  So proud of our little man for riding Space Mountain three times!  ;)


This happened to be the day before July 4th and the fireworks were spectacular!

Hollywood Studios - We may have scarred Drew forever by letting him ride Tower of Terror (twice- what were we thinking?!), but this little 30 min bit redeemed a day of crazy crowds and heavy heat.  Major advice for anyone with a kid remotely interested in Star Wars - run directly to the sign up spot for a time to become a Jedi and fight Darth Vadar.  Because the day's slots fill up.  quickly.  And if by chance, you just stumble upon it mid-afternoon and all the slots and alternate slots are filled up, rally your troops to pray because this place really is magical and sometimes dreams really do come true anyways.  Phew!

Our biggest splurge was breakfast with characters.  We went to the Polynesian hotel and ate with Lilo, Stitch, Mickey, and Pluto.  Most I've ever paid for eggs and waffles, but it was yummy and the boys literally were on the edge of their seats over the experience.

I'm telling you - magical  ;)

Epcot was fun, even in some rain and we were surprised how much the boys liked the countries section.  They had fun getting stamps and written messages in all different languages to keep in their memory books, and trying on funny attire.  We might have too.  Drew's fav ride was there too - a space one, which has helped him decide on his future career: a space ranger.

Back to Magic Kingdom - more rides, more character hugs and signatures, more coke and cherry icees, and this time we brought back a pirate.

Animal Kingdom was fun and even beautiful just to walk around-- you didn't feel like you were in an amusement park.  I couldn't decide what to be more amazed with - 
the animals from around the world...

or the crazy tree lady and things that blended in with the scenery...

or the massive (fake) tree with every animal imaginable carved into it - seriously, enormous - you walk all around the roots part and there's a huge theater with a 4-D bugs show inside the trunk (yeah, 4D - you smell stink bugs and things run across the back and butt of the seats - pretty sure Drew's first ever nightmare had to do with that show, but it was sooo cool!)
had to show a close-up of one carving

he was pretty cute to watch too  ;)

Seriously, I couldn't have gone another day.  Pure exhaustion by the end of Friday - plus, my belly and bank account said, "enough."  It's going to take some years to psych myself up to do it again - at least to that extent- but it was such a cool experience and filled us with memories to last, so we will definitely make it happen.
Thank you Mr. Disney.

*extra long post makes up for my slacker-ness*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...